Learn how to draw the transparent wings of a dragonfly in this step-by-step demonstration.
Drawing glossy transparent wings is challenging. By using this bag of tricks you will be able to suggest transparency in your drawings. Here are points to consider.
Lines should be lighter when seen through the transparent membrane.
- Use less detail on parts seen through the membrane.
- Colors behind the membrane will be less vivid and values will be lighter.
- Reflections on the surface of the wing should cross over features that are seen below so that it is clear that the reflections are on the membrane, not the surface below.
- Consider a little highlight along the edge of the membrane surface.
- A membrane may block or partially block reflections from the surface below
Click on the first image below to start a step-by-step slide show. Let’s draw a dragonfly!