- This event has passed.
Monte Bello Owling Adventure
April 26, 2015 @ 4:00 am - 12:00 pm$20
Rise early and come owling with the Nature Journal Club, or sleep in and join us for breakfast and a morning of art and nature study. Early birds will meet in the parking lot of Monte Bello at 4:00 AM and head out to listen for owls. The route is over to the Canyon Trail by the sag pond and then follow the Canyon Trail with a goal of getting to Indian Creek Trail intersection while it’s still dark (about 1-1/2 miles, hope to be there by 5:40 AM). It is mostly downhill (approx 600′ elevation drop though it feels like more) with one short steep section. Afterward we’ll retrace our steps to go back, listening to the dawn chorus to catch our breath going uphill.
Owling spaces are limited to twenty people. If you would like to go owling, please register here. If you only plan to come at 7:30 AM, you do not need to register. If you arrive late, you will not be able to join the owling group because you can not hike on the preserve without a docent until 7:00 AM. Though the preserve is only 7 miles west of Hwy 280″ on Page Mill Road, it is slow going, figure 30 minutes drive up Page Mill from 280.
If you do not want to get up so early, join us for a potluck breakfast at the parking lot between 7:00 and 7:30 AM. After breakfast we will hike into Los Trancos park up to a viewpoint where we will explore and sketch till noon.
- Please be prompt and be at the Monte Bello main parking lot at 4 AM Sunday 26 April to sign in & get permits for cars.
- Hike in the dark is 1-1/2 miles downhill, then we retrace our steps after sunrise uphill (3 miles total)
- Wear good hiking shoes (good tread on soles as there is a short steep downhill section)
- Wear quiet layered clothes (fleece jackets are much quieter than nylon)
- Bring gloves & hat in case it’s chilly (we’ll be standing quietly to listen)
- Flashlight with red filter (to save night vision)
- Water & snacks for trail
- We have to stay together as a group (no returning to car solo, need to be with a docent).
- Bring patience and a sense of awe
The parking lot is located on Page Mill Road, 7 miles west of Highway 280 and 1.5 miles east of Skyline Boulevard. It is slow going, I figure 30 minutes drive up Page Mill from 280. Important: the address on the google map is about a half a mile east of the parking lot. If you are coming from 280 and have the address plugged into a GPS, continue a half mile further. If you are coming from skyline, look The parking lot will be on the left. If you are using a GPS, plug-in Latitude 37°19’32.64″N and Longitude 122°10’44.55″W.