- This event has passed.
Oakland Zoo Field Trip
June 17, 2017 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
It’s all happening at the Zoo
Please join the Nature Journaling Club for a field trip to Oakland Zoo! This will be a wonderful opportunity to see and sketch some of the world’s most exotic wildlife. Learn how to draw animals on the move, as well as share personal sketching techniques and drawing media hints.
After a welcome and orientation, I will share tips for sketching animals in action. We will then spread throughout the zoo to work on our drawings. At noon we will reconvene for our potluck lunch and share our sketches. After lunch we will spread again throughout the zoo to draw. We will regroup at 3:30 to share our work and say goodbye. A great family friendly and wheelchair accessible day together.
Registration and parking information:
- When you enter the Zoo from Golf Links Road, tell the attendant at the gatehouse that you are going to the Zimmer Auditorium and ask for directions. The fee for parking is $10.00. Carpooling with friends is a great idea.
- Park in the Lower Entrance parking lot (see map). Follow signs to Zimmer Auditorium and look for the registration table where you will pay the discounted $10.00 per person entrance fee in cash. From there you will be given directions to our meeting spot.
- If you arrive late, head to the main entrance. You will need to pay the normal entrance fee which is $19.75 for adults, $15.75 for seniors (65-75) and children (2-14_, and seniors over 76 are are free.
Schedule for the Day:
10:00-10:15 Arrive and register at Zimmer Auditorium.
10:15-10:30 Oakland Zoo welcome and brief orientation by zoo staff. Tips on sketching animals.
11:30-12:15 Drawing throughout the zoo in small groups or individually.
12:15-1:15 Potluck lunch back in the ED Courtyard and classroom, sketch sharing.
1:15-3:30 Drawing throughout the zoo in small groups or individually.
3:30-4:00 Sketch sharing and wrap-up at the education center.
4:00 Oakland Zoo closes.
What to bring:
- Sketching materials
- Dish to share for potluck lunch We will not be able to refridgerate or heat dishes but we will have a space in the zoo to leave our lunch items while we sketch so do not leave your lunch in the car.
- Optional: portable stool or chair, binoculars
If you have any questions about the July Nature Journaling field trip, please contact John Muir Laws. We look forward to seeing you at Oakland Zoo!
The program is open to all ages and ability levels. No registration necessary.
$20 suggested donation to John Muir Laws.