In this workshop we explore landscape drawing for the artist on the run- how to draw and paint a landscape in five minutes or less, while standing up, in wet weather. Learn how to see basic shapes, simplify values, and discard unnecessary detail. I show several techniques including water soluble pen, aquash pencil, limited palette watercolor, Tombo pen, and graphite pencil.
Here are a few key points from the lecture:
- frame your shot (a little composition up front makes a big difference)
- creatively play with frame shape & composition
- Keep it small (make little thumbnail landscapes or “landscapeitos” instead of massive drawings)
- use fast-sketching media (broad tips and the ability to lay down areas of tone)
- Keep detail to a minimum
- simplify the value scale (3 or 4 steps), and Keep the whites!
- have fun, don’t get fussy, just do a lot of em!
Suggested Equipment List
Tombo Dual Brush Pen N75-Cool Gray 3 – SKU# 56639
Tombo Dual Brush Pen N95-Cool Gray 1 – SKU# 56644
Pilot Razor Point Pen, Black
Dark Gray or Dark Brown Watercolor Pencil
Portable watercolor set and waterbrush
Dark graphite pencil (2B) and blending stomp