I love Faber-Castell Artists’ Color Pencils Polychromos Pencils, which are high quality pencils made in Germany. This is my customized set, which includes the 24 pencil set plus the Fuchsia and Violet pencils, which I feel help complete the color options. These pencils:
- feature thick 3.8mm leads that are break and water-resistant;
- are oil-based, so they have no wax bloom;
- offer a great, smooth texture and blend easily;
- are smudge resistant and provide permanent, rich color;
- and they can be used in combination with Prismacolor (so I can still use my Black Grape and Grayed Lavender).
- and contain the highest quality pigments for unsurpassed lightfastness, which is rated on each pencil.
Contents Include: 26 pencils: #101 White, #104 Light Yellow Glaze, #107 Cadmium Yellow, #109 Dark Chrome Yellow, #115 Dark Cadmium Orange, #121 Pale Geranium Lake, #219 Deep Scarlet Red, #225 Dark Red, #133 Magenta, #151 Helioblue-reddish, #120 Ultramarine, #140 Light Ultramarine, #110 Phthalo Blue, #264 Dark Phthalo Green, #163 Emerald Green, #171 Light Green, #168 Earth Green Yellowish, #190 Venetian Red, #187 Burnt Ochre, #180 Raw Umber, #177 Walnut Brown, #274 Warm Grey V, #271 Warm Grey II and #199, Black, PLUS plus 2 more, Violet and Fuschia. The main set comes in a metal tin.
NOTE: For field sketching, I suggest that you not use the tin that the pencils come in, and instead bundle your pencils together with elastic bands (see the photo in this item for an example). Make one bundle for warm yellows and reds, one for blues and purples, one for earth tones and greens. This will make it easier to grab the pencil you need in the field. Store the pencil bundles in a box or bag that will help prevent the tips from breaking off. You can put a piece of crumpled up tissue at the end of the box with all the points so that they do not bang around and chip.