More than 60,000 copies sold!
With a foreword by artist and field guide author David Allen Sibley. Drawing birds opens a world of beauty and sharpens our ability to observe accurately and deeply. The ability to draw is not a gift you are born with but a skill that anyone can develop. Whether you are a birder wishing to quickly sketch birds or an artist who want to understand and accurately depict birds in your paintings this is the book for you. The demonstrations and material in this book has been developed and refined in hundreds of workshops and will give you the techniques and knowledge you need to draw birds. Preview pages from the book and order your copy now. Read published reviews.
Learn how to:
- focus on the most important aspects of a bird in a quick sketch.
- suggest the texture of bird feathers.
- observe and capture critical proportions of different species.
- understand and accurately depict a bird’s wing.
- draw bird beaks, eyes and feet.
- foreshorten and rotate your drawings to any angle.
- render the angles and curves of birds with long necks.
- draw birds in flight.
- develop techniques for adding color with colored pencil or watercolor.
- sketch in the field when your subject can move or fly away.
- avoid common pitfalls in bird drawing.