Revised and Updated! Created with the nature journalist in mind, The Laws Sketchbook for Nature Journaling hardcover blank journal is the perfect starting point for anyone interested in the practice and joy of getting out, observing, and recording nature. This is a great companion sketchbook to The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling and How to Teach Nature Journaling.
- Designed and field tested by John Muir Laws as well as many fans of the previous edition.
- Sturdy hardcovers for support while sketching in the field.
- Removable dust jacket band reveals canvas textured white journal cover that you can personalize with your own artwork (such as these examples from Amy Tan), favorite quotes that motivate you to journal or connect you to nature, or stickers.
- convenient 7″ x 9″ size.
- Elastic band closure to help you sketch on windy days or flip open to the next blank page.
- Pages open flat for double-page spreads.
- 64 pages of 148g white paper, 16 pages of 200g light brown toned paper–excellent for sketching in pen, pencil, and light watercolor washes. This paper is Acid-free.
- 16 pages of reference material on journaling, observation, and sketching including scientific measurement and estimation tools, the Beaufort Wind Scale, and table of contents (you fill it in as you go to help you reference your notes).
Sarah Reid (verified owner) –
The smooth-toothed cardstock is perfect for all types of mediums: pencil, ink, watercolor. The overall size is great — easy to pack-n-go, easy to hold onto. The open-flat design is awesome. The cover is rugged. I, too, am blowing through them because the size and scope has so inspired me, instead of being intimidated by bigger blank pages to fill or a thick cumbersome book. Ready to order more because now I find myself dedicating a journal each to my yard garden, a vacation, a species-dedicated field notebook, everyday adventures … oh my!
Joni James –
Love this journal. The paper is great for fountain pen, Micron pens, watercolors, and colored pencil. The reference pages in the back are handy as reminders and quick reviews too! Sturdy cover, great size, and the pages lay flat for full spreads. Highly recommend!
Melinda Nakagawa (verified owner) –
Great journal. It took me a couple days to get used to this one, but really liked the size and how the pages open flat. Paper is smoother surface that I normally use, but I’m getting used to it. I use fountain pen and watercolor and it works great. It only took me 3 weeks to blast through one journal because it has fewer pages than my 120page (60sheet) sketchbook. I highly recommend it!
Kimberly Healey –
I just recently received this awesome sketchbook and I’m already loving it! The paper is perfect for colored pencil, pen and watercolors. I can’t wait to head out to the field with it.
Anisha Shankar (verified owner) –
Gosh! This just arrived in the mail today and it is beautiful! I love the 9″X7″ size and the paper quality is excellent. I am super excited to begin using it this weekend.