- This event has passed.
Oakland Zoo Field Trip
May 5, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
It’s all happening at the Zoo
Please join the Nature Journaling Club for a field trip to Oakland Zoo! This will be a wonderful opportunity to see and sketch some of the world’s most exotic wildlife. Learn how to draw animals on the move, as well as share personal sketching techniques and drawing media hints.
After a welcome and orientation, I will share tips for sketching animals in action. We will then spread throughout the zoo to work on our drawings. At noon we will reconvene for our potluck lunch and share our sketches. After lunch we will spread again throughout the zoo to draw. We will regroup at 3:30 to share our work and say goodbye. A great family friendly and wheelchair accessible day together.
Registration and parking information:
- Arrive early. I plan to get there at 9:30. With the weekend and the warm weather, it will be a popular day at the zoo. Once the parking lot fills up, people have to wait for a spot to clear. You do not want to be one of them.
- When you enter the Zoo from Golf Links Road, tell the attendant at the gatehouse that you are with the Nature Journal Club and are going to the Zimmer Auditorium and ask for directions. The zoo has given us 20 parking passes, available for the first 20 vehicles from our group. After those are used, the fee for parking is $10.00. Carpooling with friends is a great idea. If you are a zoo member, use your zoo parking pass.
- Park in the Lower Entrance parking lot (see map). Follow signs to Zimmer Auditorium and look for the the group meeting area (we will be the big group of people with socks on their wrists).
- The zoo has graciously granted us 20 free entrance passes. These will be available for the first 20 people who need them. If you are a zoo member, please use your membership card to enter and bring guest passes if you have any.
- If you arrive late, head to the main entrance. You will need to pay the normal entrance fee which is $24 for adults, $20 for seniors (65-75) and children (2-14), and seniors over 76 are are free.
Schedule for the Day:
10:00-10:15 Arrive and register at Zimmer Auditorium.
10:15-10:30 Oakland Zoo welcome and brief orientation by zoo staff. Tips on sketching animals.
11:30-12:15 Drawing throughout the zoo in small groups or individually.
12:15-1:15 Potluck lunch back in the ED Courtyard and classroom, sketch sharing.
1:15-3:30 Drawing throughout the zoo in small groups or individually.
3:30-4:00 Sketch sharing and wrap-up at the education center.
4:00 Oakland Zoo closes.
What to bring:
- Sketching materials
- Dish to share for potluck lunch We will not be able to refrigerate or heat dishes but we will have a space in the zoo to leave our lunch items while we sketch so do not leave your lunch in the car.
- Optional: portable stool or chair, binoculars
If you have any questions about the field trip, please contact John Muir Laws. We look forward to seeing you at Oakland Zoo!
The program is open to all ages and ability levels. No registration necessary.
$20 suggested donation to John Muir Laws.