- This event has passed.
Nature Journaling Field Trip at the Oakland Zoo
July 26, 2015 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm$20
Please join the Nature Journaling Club for a field trip to Oakland Zoo! This will be a wonderful opportunity to see and sketch some of the world’s most exotic wildlife. Learn how to draw animals on the move, as well as share personal sketching techniques and drawing media hints.
The Nature Journaling Club instructor will be Kristin Meuser, an experienced, local, nature journal artist. Oakland Zoo Docents and Nature Journaling Club members, Tom and Diane Bennett, will facilitate this event with Michael and Brenda Helm.
After a welcome and orientation, journal keeper Kristin Meuser will share tips for sketching animals in action. At noon we will reconvene at the Education Center courtyard where we will eat lunch and share our sketches. After lunch we will spread throughout the zoo and return at 3:30 to the education center to share our work and say goodbye. A great family friendly and wheelchair accessible day together.
Here are the nuts and bolts for the day:
- Oakland Zoo is located at 9777 Golf Links Rd. Oakland CA 94605.
- When you enter the Zoo from Golf Links Road, tell the attendant at the gatehouse that you are there to attend the Nature Journaling Club class in the Education Center Courtyard. You will not be charged for parking.
- Park in the Lower Entrance parking lot (see map) on the way to the Education Center (see map). Signs will be posted along the sidewalk to show you the way to Zimmer Auditorium where you will register.
- An Education staff member will meet you in front of Zimmer Auditorium between 10:00 AM and 10:15 AM where we will collect your program registration fee and give you a wristband so you can have access to the Zoo. The $10.00 non-member program fee includes Zoo admission (which is normally $15.75 for adults and $13.75 for children). Zoo members pay a reduced program fee of $8.00.
- The Education Courtyard (on the first level of the Education Center) and one of the classrooms looking out onto it will be your home base for the day.
Schedule for the Day:
10:00-10:15 Arrive and register at Zimmer Auditorium in the lower level of the Education Center.
10:15-10:30 Oakland Zoo welcome and brief orientation by zoo staff. Tips by Kristin on sketching animals.
11:30-12:15 Drawing throughout the zoo in small groups or individually.
12:15-1:15 Potluck lunch back in the ED Courtyard and classroom, sketch sharing.
1:15-3:30 Drawing throughout the zoo in small groups or individually.
3:30-4:00 Sketch sharing and wrap-up by Kristin.
4:00 Oakland Zoo closes.
What to bring:
- Sketching materials
- Dish to share for potluck lunch (we will not be able to heat dishes)
- Optional: portable stool or chair, binoculars
If you have any questions about the July Nature Journaling field trip, please contact John Muir Laws. We look forward to seeing you at Oakland Zoo!